Thursday, December 18, 2008

Joker's Daughter - NPR Second Stage

This time of year NPR's Second Stage puts together their favorite songs of the year. I have always liked that NPR offers the opportunity for independent, unsigned artists to be highlighted in a national manner. I also like that the songs are highlighted, not necessarily the album. In this digital music age where individual songs can be downloaded and the physical packaging of an album is, at best superfluous, and at worst archaic, the definition of an "album" may become "playlist". I know it has been for me since my Sony Walkman cassette player. Just about every weekday during the calendar year there is a new song uploaded to the website to give a taste. The only problem with NPR's Second Stage platform of songs on display is that all the albums are reviewed by an Editor(s). If your music likes, dislikes, motivations, and agendas are identical to that guy (Robin Hilton), then you are golden; otherwise...time to sort (ye same ole story: how do I begin to sort?!).
So, I'm sorting through the songs leading up to the Top 10 Great Unknowns, From Second Stage, and after the seventh song, I found something that I was interested in. The song is called Worm's Head, by Joker's Daughter. It wasn't something I'd really say is "my genre", but it was interesting enough for me to press repeat a few times. I really enjoyed the melody and rhythmic nature as well as the various timbres. Give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment