Tuesday, December 23, 2008

NPR's Second Stage/apologies for taste

Yes, NPR Second Stage hits and misses in my opinion...just as they should given that everyone, thankfully, has differing musical tastes. I think that Robin Hilton hit it right with the top 10 for the year! Not only did he choose ten tunes representing varying genres and styles, but they are all fun to listen. Would my 10 probably have been different? Yup, but I dig these tunes to varying degrees.
SIDE BAR:
I'm not sure I agree with his rankings all the time (details, details), but I'm fond of the selections...and that is pretty big for me to admit - sometimes Robin Hilton's musical tastes and mine overlap, but oftentimes he digs something that I cannot find any value in (sorry), other than the fact that he is doing what he is doing, which is not only noble and challenging, but necessary - no matter how "wrong" I think he is. Everyone should subscribe to the podcast or log on daily to hear the selection (easier said than done, I know). That said, my M.O. is that I have little patience for slow-er tunes and "sappy/emotional" lyrics, so my musical spectrum is somewhat limited. If I don't hear something interesting within the first 30 seconds, I usually don't hear much more. Frankly, sometimes 30 seconds is too much to wait (again, sorry).
...off the soapbox:
Were these the best tunes he received this year? Only he knows. I'm, nonetheless, impressed with each of these tunes! I recommend listening to the "show" and then logging on to hear more from your favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment